The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Manitoba (1957- present), Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1961- present), and General Conference Mennonite Church (1962 - 1999). Services began in 1954 as a joint outreach of the Rivers Mennonite Church and the Whitewater Mennonite Church, (Boissevain, MB) with the assistance of Mennonite Church Manitoba. The group was known as Brandon Mennonite Mission until 1961. It was intended to provide a church home for Mennonite families moving to Brandon, and was the first Mennonite church in the city. The nearest churches at the time were in Rivers, MB (General Conference) and in Alexander, MB (Mennonite Brethren). Bishop G.G. Neufeld is considered the founding leader of the group; the first minister was Henry Isaac. The language of worship has been English since the congregation was established.